Google Analytics is an essential part of any marketing campaign and is arguably one of the most powerful free web applications available today. Keep reading for a crash course on Google Analytics and to learn everything you need to know to get started with Google Analytics!
The first step to setting up tracking for a website is to create an Analytics property.
1. Sign in to Google Analytics. Click Admin.
2. In the ACCOUNT column, use the menu to select the account to which you want to add the property.
3. In the PROPERTY column, select “Create new property” from the menu.
4. Select your website and proceed to step 7
5. Enter the Website name. It is important you use a very specific and descriptive name to ensure you can easily identify the site you are tracking
6. Enter the Web Site URL.
Please note: You cannot create a property if your URL isn’t formatted correctly
7.Select an Industry Category.
8. Select the Reporting Time Zone.
9. Click Get Tracking ID.
***Your property is created after you click this button, but you must set up the tracking code to collect data!
How to Install the Tracking Code to Your Website
Add the entire tracking code from above to each web page you want to track. Add the tracking code snippet just before the closing tag on each page.
Enter the code into the field that asks for the Google Analytics tracking ID. This field is typically under the “Admin” or “Analytics” section of your web hosting.
Once you save the code Google Analytics will begin working it’s magic and tracking your website traffic within 24 hours!
Worried Your Link Isn’t working?